Your bridesmaids are excited that you’ve chosen them to be your bridesmaid! I swear they will do their best to stand by you and support you as you plan your wedding day. But you have to try and do the same for them. If you’re lucky, you have been a bridesmaid at least once in your lifetime. Being a bridesmaid is fun! One of the biggest tasks, however, is choosing the bridesmaid dresses – the process can be stress-inducing to some.
It’s important to understand a few key factors. To make your wedding journey as enjoyable and smooth as it can be, I think you’ll be the coolest bride ever if you just follow these simple dress decision guidelines.
- Firstly consider the theme, the season and the destination of the wedding. For a beach wedding, skip the formal frocks and choose a floaty flirty summer dress. Florals work well for a garden party. Consider crochet lace for your boho-chic feté. Winter weddings call for a high neck long sleeve maxi. And so on and so forth.
- Each bridesmaid brings a different build and size into the mix. Similarly, every girl will have a different opinion about which silhouette and fabric looks the best. Listening and understanding is important – everyone needs to be a team player.
- Give them color swatches and some general guidelines to choose from, and then let them choose their own cuts, sleeve styles and dress lengths. If they wear something they feel fabulous in, they will also feel great and look fabulous on the day.
- By foregoing a traditional dress and instead choosing an outfit that is unique, you’re adding a special touch to your wedding day and giving your bridesmaids and yourself more options to choose from.
- Letting the bridesmaids choose the style that fits them the most, the girls might want to wear the outfit again after the wedding day. Win-win! You also open up lots of possibilities as far as each individual girl’s body type.
- It is always good to be mindful of costs, especially if you are paying for the dresses.
- To keep within the budget, hit the high street sales instead of going to the bridal boutiques. Don’t be afraid of online shopping either – most of them have a return policy should it not be as expected.
- Choosing mis-matched bridesmaids outfits means you can choose outfits that flatter everybody and make your bridesmaids feel like a million dollars, as well as having a fun and vibrant mix of styles that will make your wedding more unique and funky.
- Choosing the colour scheme is another cause for confusion. You can’t go wrong with pastel colours or neutrals, but don’t be scared of using statment colours too. Try to choose something that matches everyones skin tone.
- As much as it’s your big day, you’ll both have a much better time if you are both happy with the dress. Having an open mind and listening to everybody’s needs is important, but the bridesmaids also need to be respectful of the brides wishes, of course.
For brides who want their bridesmaids squad to look more original, you can even introduce beading and ornate prints. Bridesmaids mix and match separates is all the rage in 2017, which opens up lots of possibilities, and you also can introduce more shades of your wedding colors and shades into their look. Choosing different designs in the same shade of fabric is another ingenious way of pleasing everyone without diverging from the colour scheme.
These dresses are sure to be attention grabbing for the right reasons.
How cute are these mismatched bridesmaids?