Getting engaged and starting to try on wedding dresses is a mixture of excitement, jubilation and sometimes even fear. And no wonder with the ocean of dress styles, silhouettes and waistlines out there. Minimalist or vintage? Glamourous or boho? Beads or no beads? Soon enough, you might start to feel overwhelmed by the choices. They say you just know when you have found the one, but what if you try on 50 dresses in different silouettes and you still don’t know, because all of them are nice – but which shape suits your personality the best?
Sometimes, the best thing is to go right back to basics. Forego the ocean of options of modern dress designs and go far, far back in the wedding dress world, where you will find the ball gown – the ultimate wedding dress, worn by royalties and brides since medieval times. I ensure you that you wont get to wear one very often in your life.
You can rock an a-line or mermaid at the next evening party, and a boho dress when you head to any hip happening. At your wedding though, you are more than allowed to be as grand as you can. Indulge your inner princess and feel the power of the pouf!
Before seen as the dress for the girlie-girls, available with crystals, sweet heart neck line and organza mainly, this day and age the ball gown can definitely be a dress with kick-ass attitude – evident in our selection below with gowns in anything from hot and ravishing to effortlessly etheral to sleek minimal designs. That the ball gown is so in vouge for 2018, is just another bonus.
The ball gown doesn’t put you in the princess pocket automatically. There are styles to cater for every personality – the princess ball gown is just the name of the silhouette. The princessy part of it is your decision!
Whether you are getting married in a garden villa, glass house or in a rockabilly club – an expansive skirt is a great choice. Please don’t let your venue decide what you are wearing because in the end of the day – where you get married is up to you and what you are wearing is up to you!
- You will not only be the bride, in a gown of this proportion you will also be the her Majesty the Royal Highness, and treated per se. In a understated minimal sheath, you might risk blending in with the crowd too easily. In a ball gown however, you will without doubt appear impeccably bridal in every sense.
- Every bride receive all the attention of course, but in a bigger dress you will gain even more of it with the increased visibility and presence, as no one will be able to not see you. Drama is inevitable.
- Who doesn’t want to be a princess? Or at least be the star of a disney fairy tale?
- The ball gown is surprisingly light and comfortable – there is lots of air flow under the skirt, preventing sweaty legs that you might get in a tighter silhouette.
- Dependant of each specific design of course, but don’t assume they will be heavy and cumbersome.
- Some a-line and ball gowns have pockets – how cool is that? You can hide your cell phone in there for the unforgettable selfie-moments. Or a bottle of water or energy bar – because they will come handy.
- Nothing says “bridal” as much as a princess gown. Why not make a statement when you have the golden opportunity? (This is why we promote the tiara too)
- It will instantly make you feel gorgeous. It will hide most areas that you might want covered. And it will give you a tiny waist.
- Bottom line: You are sure to feel the most feminine you have in your life. Why not celebrate it?
- Your mum will adore it!
- It might not suit short brides with a petite frame too well – you might disappear in the cloud of fabric, or worse: get mistaken for the flower girl.
- Not ideal for a beach wedding, although if flowy materials like tulle, chiffon or georgette are used for the skirt it is definitely doable.
- Other people might feel restricted to come near you (but depending on you – with the amount of hugging and kissing you are obliged to do, later you might feel the distance from others is a relief)
- You will look beyond amazing in the first dance. Dancing on a busy dance floor however could get impractical – but some dress designs offer the option to remove the big skirt, so this hindrance could be overcome.
Think you are confined to the traditional church wedding look in a ball gown? Scroll down – our intention with this post is to show case some incredible unique and modern dresses that fits all personalities, not just daddy’s little princess, so that you can exude your own unique version of the Classic. Even the Queen of Boho might be surprised!
Let these magical dresses encourage you to be the star in your own “once a upon a time”…
Did you find these ball gowns inspiring, and would you consider wearing one at your own wedding? Let us know by sharing your thoughts in the comments field below.
If you love wedding dress ideas, you might want to check out these articles:
Stay tuned for next inspirational post by following us – find button in the sidebar to the right >>>>>