You have spent a month soaking up the excitement and admiring your ring and perhaps started to dream of venues, dresses and your invites. And possibly realized how long that wedding planning to-do list really is…
Below are the steps that will springboard you into planning mode, explaining how to approach it without over-complicating. See these as the essentials which will give you a firm grip, and the rest will unfold organically.
Nail the wedding budget
- Research what things are expected to cost.
- Sit down together and decide what is a reasonable figure to spend. It is a special day, but there is a long happily ever after which will also require spending.
- Create a spreadsheet listing the must-haves.
- Budget-Guestlist go hand in hand. Their size will more or less have to be decided at the same time .
Just remember: A huge budget and huge guest list doesn’t mean a greater a more fab wedding. What makes the wedding great is the atmosphere, shared love and the meaningful gathering to celebrate your commitment.
How to set a wedding budget + Free Budget Tracking Tool
Find the right wedding venue for your vision
As the venue will determine a lot of details, it’s great to firm up on venue as early as possible.
- Once a budget has been figured out, research and visit venues. Have a basic idea of guests ready.
- Compare 3 different venues at least and remember to take lots of photos and ask the right questions when you are there.
- Ask for a list of all services included and what isn’t so you know exactly what you are paying for.
Good to know: It is usually better to finalize your wedding date according to the venues availability as opposed to other way around.
8 Essential Wedding Venue Search Tips
Decide which wedding dress
- Set a budget when shopping for your gown – include accessories as well.
- Research and book at least 3 appointments with bridal shops that seem to offer something that suits your taste and budget.
- Have an idea of what you are interested in trying, but try not to be too fixed on one particular idea.
Our best tip: Try to not over-think it! It might sound impossible, but the truth is that the more you try the harder it is to buy. The ideal dress will flatter your body, reflect your personalty and fit with the intended wedding.
Other posts to check out
A timeline for finding your wedding dress
What You Must Know Before Your First Wedding Dress Appointment
Find the best vendors for your wedding
Your vendors are the keystones of your wedding, so take enough time to think about what you would like your wedding to be all about. Research the vendors that seem the most capable of enabling that vision. We have prepared a list of all the questions you should ask them here
- Check websites and social media portfolios. Create a shortlist and start sending inquires
- Ask about what is included, hidden extras and when to pay deposits. Also ask for references
- When they are hired, give them the guidelines which will help them to help you get married the way you want
- Everyone will appreciate to be trusted to do their job well. Choose vendors carefully, then allow them to do their magic.
Very important: hire the vendor you are 100% sure can achieve your vision and you have seen similar work by already. Your wedding is not the right time for them to try something they never did before. Its also good to not ask a vendor to change their existing style. This is why it is crucial to be in love with their previous work!
Hire the right wedding photographer
Your photographer is the one who will capture this significant day. Ensure you find the one who takes the photos that you will want to look back on.
- Search until you find portfolios that you completely adore. Send them emails asking these essential things
- Schedule an engagement shoot with the most promising photographer – not only will you get a lovely memory but it will give you a first hand experience of the photographers way of working and their result.
- Definitely consider a videographer
Just as with all vendors, make sure you really like their existing style as this is their artistic work which is probably not possible for them to alter.
Develop your own wedding style
Don’t be afraid to express your personality in your wedding. It makes the day even more spectacular!
- Think about ways to infuse your wedding with your unique personalities
- After you formed ideas of how your wedding should feel like, put a limit on wedding inspiration.
- Don’t be afraid to challenge traditions in order to host a truly memorable event!
Your wedding is a perfect day to tell your story with personalized touches which are meaningful to you.
The secret to the best wedding!
Weddings are days filled with anticipation, expectation and fuss that can be exhausting and overwhelming to fulfill. The greatest importance is that you have fun with your Groom, family and bridesmaids whilst preparing for it. Do what you can to avoid placing too high expectations on yourself and the day. Cross out all the irrelevant items on the to-do list that just doesn’t ring true to who you are.
Try to keep perspective and always remember not to get too serious about all the smaller details that will shortly after the wedding not matter a great deal anyway.
If planning get too much – simplify, delegate and try to not control everything.
That you are getting married is the biggest treasure of all, and it will be totally amazing however you plan it!